Two, including mother of 8, murdered on Vernon Street

Allen Garcia
Cynthia Conorqui

Just hours after the shooting incident which eventually led to the murder of Percival Pilgrim, shots once again rang out in the city. Pilgrim was shot on Banak Street and succumbed not even 24 hours later but this second incident took place on Logwood Street. At around 7:45 p.m. on Wednesday, March 17, police visited the Karl Heusner Memorial Hospital where they met 21-year-old Allen Felix Garcia and 49-year-old Cynthia Lavern Conorquie both suffering from multiple gunshot wounds to their bodies. Despite receiving treatment for their injuries, both victims succumbed.
Reports are that at around 7:30 that night, shots rang out inside the home where both Garcia and Conorquie were. It is reported that the lone gunman jumped over the yard’s fence before firing multiple times. Garcia, who was a frequent visitor to the yard, was there along with Conorquie when they were both hit multiple times. Garcia himself was shot to the head while Conorquie succumbed to her injuries in her own yard.
It is understood that while Garcia was not involved in a life of gang activity, it is quite likely that he knew his murderer. So far, investigators are looking at the possibility that this double homicide is linked to the shooting murder of Pilgrim which took place just hours before. While on the scene of this crime, police met three men inside a black SUV matching the description of a getaway vehicle in another shooting incident which took place on Iguana Street and they were levied a number of charges including for an unlicensed firearm.

Richard Bennett

For the double homicide, however, police arrested and charged a 23-year-old mechanic and a minor for the crime of murder. On March 19, police formally arrested and charged Richard Mervin Bennett of a Belize City address as well as the minor with two counts of murder. Bennett was arraigned in the Belize City Magistrate’s Court before Senior Magistrate Aretha Ford. Due to the nature of the charges, he could not be offered bail and remanded to the Belize Central Prison until May 20. The minor was arraigned at the Belize Family Court in the presence of a parent.